Monday 21 November 2011

The Rum Diary

I’m probably not a great authority to write about this film, being that I have never really paid much attention to the work of Hunter S. Thompson in my life, neither having read or viewed much of his written work. While others have his books and posters adorning their walls, for me he is merely a name and something about drugs. I’m not sure…

From watching interviews with Johnny Depp – on Newsnight of all places – you would think this was a political film about ‘truth’ in journalism. The film only really hints at this, however, focusing more on the fun and wild aspects of the time in Puerto Rico.

The whole film, therefore, feels a bit like a precursor to something that never comes, with little real depth or intrigue. The style also disappoints, expecting more from ‘Withnail and I’ director, Bruce Robinson.

More a Twitter feed than diary, this entertains on a basic level, but I can imagine that this isn’t the hugely insightful piece that Hunter S.’s fans would have craved.

No comments:

Post a Comment