Thursday 5 April 2012

Okinawa-honto

I knew that if I went to Okinawa closer to the summer that it would be far too hot for a pasty white boy such as myself to enjoy. Walking would produce ass-crack chafing, and photos would be of a red-faced, obviously British person.

With that in mind, I decided that I would make Okinawa my first stop, starting south at the coldest point while I’m here, moving north as the average temperatures rise. But Spring brings with it a mixed collection of weather styles, and the law of the proverbial sod reared its ugly head throughout my time here.

Shurijo
Much of my time on the island was spent in the city of Naha, close to the airport, and generally away from any US Military bases, which is preferable. It was my days spent here, in the city, that tended to be hot and sunkissed. Time here was spent at the various UNESCO World Heritage sites that the city has to offer, namely Shuri Castle, and the Japanese Navy Headquarters. Days spent here were generally hot and sunny, which isn’t as necessary for more indoor activities.

Shurijo
It was when I would try and venture out of the city that the weather would turn and piss on me. Plans were often scuppered and changed last minute based on the morning’s weather. My trip to scared site Seifa Utaki turned out nice, though my trip to Manzamo had to be put back and was overcast when I eventually made it there, and other days out had to be called-off. Which was a shame, as I’d finally figured out Okinawa’s strange and non-English bus system. Travelling on the island can be expensive, however, in time and money, with buses moving slowly through towns and cities, as well as being rickety old death-traps (I jest).

Seifa Utaki
But it wasn’t all doom and gloom; the good days were very good and the weather perfect. Chinen provided some great views when visiting Seifa Utaki and walking round the city in the sun was definitely worth it. The bad weather wasn’t always a negative either, with the wind adding for some good waves at Cape Manzamo.

Manzamo
Okinawa: home of karate; land of novelty T-shirts. Well, not exactly, but entertainment district Kokusai Street and Makishi Public Market certainly have their fair share, many of which are pork-based. I’m sure the late opening of many of the shops has led to many a drunken purchase in its time, with patrons feeling the need to tell the world: ‘I have been to Okinawa!’

No comments:

Post a Comment