Tuesday 12 June 2012

Sliding Down Honshu

To get back on to Japan’s largest island, I decided to take the ferry from Hakodate to Aomori. But the boat is no cruise liner, used mainly by lorries to get from A to B via sea. For the price of the ticket, you buy yourself some ‘carpet space’, sitting shoeless in a carpeted room while lorry drivers, a middle-aged woman, a 2.4 children family and an unsavoury-looking character in a ‘Hello Kitty’ tracksuit. The journey was uneventful and when arriving in Aomori, I trailed the lorries off the boat with my two heavy bags – for the first time in my life I felt like a real man.


Arriving in Aomori
It was hot and the sun was blazing, and I had a not ridiculous – but long enough in the heat – walk into central Aomori. A few minutes in, a taxi stopped in front of me and the middle-aged woman from the ferry stuck her head out and beckoned me aboard. Turns out she wasn’t a simple, middle-aged woman, but a psychopathic killer on the run. I exaggerate, of course, but her repeated insistence on hi-fiving led me to believe that she had some undoubted head problems. But I wasn’t to say no to a free ride, and not just because my Japanese is limited.

Aomori
Stopping only one night in Aomori before heading south and arriving relatively late, I had a quiet night with some quick food and an evening stroll. For some reason, I just wasn’t motivated to explore Aomori Prefecture further whenever I was there. Which will probably be a regret, as there are some supposedly good sights to see in the area. But no time to mope on what could have been, I have a six-and-a-half hour train journey down the west coast to Niigata to survive.

After changing at Akita, I sat on the right hand side of the train as it headed south along the coast. The sun out again and having run out of food before the changeover, I started to feel a little ill the further we travelled. This wasn’t helped by the fact that the train was one that Rik Mayall could only describe as ‘rickety’. Still, it ran on time, hey British rail providers!

Hotel Nikko, Niigata
I was pretty much dead on arrival, but soon found that my hotel was probably the tallest building in the city and my room was on the 26th floor. This meant my room probably provided one of the best views of Niigata, though I soon learnt that accolade equates the best educated out of Luton Sixth Form College.

Niigata
Niigata is a strange one; and not just because this is a city so amazingly out of the natural order as to be the place where Emile Heskey scored a World Cup goal (that actually happened!). With a population of over 800,000, Niigata doesn’t fall into the list of large cities that I have visited that may not be the best tourist spots (Fukuoka, Kobe, Sendai, et al), but feel like they would be easy places to live.

To start, there is an absence of tall buildings in the city. This leaves a visible sky, but also means that the train line – normally hidden among the buildings – is a quite dominant feature on the cityscape. A power station also looms over the city, with the smoke from the chimneys merging into the clouds to create a quite bleak atmosphere at times. Imagine Sheffield…then commit suicide.

Niigata
The city also seems to lack a central hub; split into three parts: south-east of the train station; between the train station and Shinano River; and west of the river, out to the coast. Things are generally spread across the city, therefore, and a lot of walking is probably required to find things. As it rained a lot while I was there, I felt there was a lot of the city that may have passed me by, and what I did find was hardly Luton in Bloom.

Niigata
The Friday night when I arrived, Japan were playing Jordan in the 2014 World Cup qualifiers. I went out, unwittingly wearing my new Air Jordan T-shirt, to search for a pub showing it, only to find only one pub where you needed a reservation to get in: I would define that more as a restaurant. While you can find good pubs and bars in Japan, sometimes you come across ones with customs I would describe as strange and as such do not create the desired relaxed atmosphere for a casual few. I’ve never been to Ireland (the theme for this particular establishment), but I don’t imagine you need to reserve a table on a Friday night for a drink in a pub. With kick-off looming and nowhere else visible, I watched the Samurai Blue dismantle Jordan 6-0, Honda bagging a hat-trick. Kagawa is definitely Japan’s second man.

Stadium No. 6 now visited: the Niigata Big Swan Stadium, which is probably better viewed from above than on the ground. I was only a few days shy of visiting it on the ten year anniversary of the beautiful game’s most awe-inspiring moment: Emile Heskey’s goal in a World Cup finals against Denmark in the second round in a 3-0 victory. It’s amazing how much buzz there was about England’s ‘golden generation’ and how there was a lot of expectation for England to do well a decade ago. But watching the highlights of the match back, you can see that greats such as Trevor Sinclair, Nicky Butt, Danny Mills and Mr Heskey featured: there is a reason we don’t get beyond the quarter-finals very often.

Big Swan Stadium, Niigata
Bad weather was forecast for the Sunday, but instead the sun came out (it had been keeping its gay side well hidden) and I went for an on-foot tour of the city to all the sites: the power station, railway bridge, etc., but ended up at the coast which is nice for the sunset and provides views of Sado-ga-shima in the distance – the city’s highlight.

Niigata
I didn’t find much for me in Niigata. Other cities haven’t been great, but have had enough to suggest they could be good places if you lived in them. From my tourist’s perspective, I didn’t see much in Niigata, but maybe that makes it a better place to live. 

No comments:

Post a Comment