Tuesday 16 January 2018

Every 14 Days...(41)


Never Let Me Go (Kazuo Ishiguro)

He's just won the Nobel Prize. Let's all go out and read his books. Of course, I already have...read two of his...the first two...set largely in Japan...because I'm like that.

As indicated, this is the third Ishiguro novel that I have now read, though where the first two worked for me, this one less so. 

Kathy is a carer reminiscing about her school days at the isolated and somewhat sinister Hailsham School. Now caring for her former class mates, we learn how her relationships with those she cares for developed.

With the children at the school asked to create works of art to be used in a sort of barter system - those standing out chosen for the mysterious "Gallery" - the children's intrigue creates tension in their relationships with the teaching staff. As the children grow older, they are able to learn more about their lives and their inevitable fate: Hailsham is a school for clones essentially bred for their organs, hence Kathy's role as a carer for her former classmates whom have already made their "donations."

There are interesting ideas about the nature of friendships between the three lead characters, as well as creating a sense of intrigue as to what the "Gallery" represents. However, when the element of the children bred as clones becomes clearer, the almost science fiction element loses me to an extent, just not really being my thing and removing a little of the book's intrigue.

The children coming to terms with their situation, being both human and not human, is where the strengths lie: sex simply recreational and something that the pupils just do; and forming a relationship a rumoured way to delay becoming a donor. But the context in which they are placed doesn't work for me - this is me being me, not speaking for others - and as such loses a bit of its soul...as well as a kidney or two.

Days to read: 15
Days per book: 15.1


Shooting an Elephant (George Orwell)

Having polished-off all of his novels, I thought I'd take a look at some of his essays. This collection, under the title "Shooting an Elephant" is a bit of a mixed-bag for me, though this is in a large part down to my own interest in the subject matter of each.

The titular essay is among the more interesting, referring to his days as a policeman in Burma and an obvious situation that arose; likewise "A Hanging". Indeed, the shorter works that show clear influence on - or parallel - what would become his novels and more detailed books are the best. "The Spike", "Looking Back on the Spanish Civil War" and "How the Poor Die" among these. Those looking at writing also are among the stronger efforts.

The longer essays, however, I found less engaging, largely because they are depth analyses of subjects of which I hold little interest - or at least pretend to show externally to appear a cool kid. The analyses of Charles Dickens, boys' weeklies and Gulliver's Travels are overly long and thorough for subjects I know little about.

But what do I know?!...I know the number I'm thinking of right now.

Days to read: 26
Days per book: 15.1


Underground (Haruki Murakami)

Judging by the bookmark I found sitting in it, I first read this when in Kyoto circa 2008. I was inspired to read it again after recently watching Kore-eda Hirokazu's "Distance" looking at the relatives of members of a fictional cult that orchestrated a terrorist attack on Tokyo. 

Looking at the Tokyo Gas Attack by Aum Shinrikyo of 1995, one thing I remember the first time around, perhaps confirmed this time also, was that the second half of the book - "The Place that was Promised" that features interviews with former Aum members - is the more intriguing. This perhaps goes against Murakami's original intentions to give a voice to the victims he felt ignored by the Japanese media, as well as perhaps being a little insensitive to the victims themselves interviewed in the opening chapters.

But, as with "Distance", looking at the motivations behind those that join such a cult is an unanswerable question often explored from the wrong angles. While interviewing the victims, he allows their version to flow; while with the former members, he is more challenging and questioning of their side.

As not an interviewer or sociologist, there is perhaps something a little lacking overall from "Underground" in drawing its conclusions. Though with the subject matter, this was never possible anyway.

I seem to remember once reading that "Underground" was all made-up. Though I probably made that up myself...

Days to read: 31
Days per book: 15.2


New Japanese Cinema (Tom Mes and Jasper Sharp)

This is a book I remember looking at in a shop about ten or eleven years ago. About ten or eleven years later, after much deliberation, I finally bought it. Reading this now, about thirteen years after its original publication, perhaps slightly downplays the "new" element of the title, looking in anticipation at the potential futures of new directorial talent to emerge along with Japanese cinema's temporary rebirth in the Nineties.

But given that a lot of the careers of the featured directors faded out after its publication, or international fame didn't particularly materialise, this does prove an interesting timepiece for the brief re-emergence of Japanese cinema on the international stage, covering many films probably still deserving of more international recognition two decades later.

I took my time over this one, quite unfortunately reserving this as something of a "toilet book": polish off a review while you polish off a...in some cases, yes. Though this does allow for time to do your own research and hunt down some of the films featured.

As previously mentioned, I probably read more about cinema than actually watching films these days; and of the ninety-seven (count them) films reviewed by Messrs Mes and Sharp I can now say that I have fully seen thirty-five (count them). Though interestingly, I have been more inspired to watch several films referenced, but not fully explored, by the pair. In that sense, delaying my reading of this book has been a nice way to discover some films, rediscover some others and perhaps encourage me to get round to watching some of the ones I probably should have by now.

In that sense the "new" is relative.

Days to read: 189
Days per book: 15.1

No comments:

Post a Comment